“Twenty-Twenty” To celebrate the year 2020!
Your design can be any theme you want but must include the 20 items listed below and be the specified size (20”x20”). We encourage everyone in the guild to participate in this challenge. ALL QUILTS ENTERED IN THE CHALLENGE WILL BE DISPLAYED AT OUR 2020 QUILT SHOW!
Rules of the Challenge: • #1 RULE: HAVE FUN! Use your imagination!
• YOU MUST INCLUDE AT LEAST ONE OF EACH OF THESE 20 ITEMS ON YOUR CHALLENGE: Your challenge must include at least one of each of the 20 items on the list below (more of each item if you’re adventurous). All 20 items must appear on the front of your wall hanging. The items from the list can be any size and you are not limited to just those items, but all of them must appear individually at least once on the front of your challenge. **Remember your challenge will be hung up so make sure these items are securely fastened and not so heavy they flop over.
1. A square
2. A rectangle
3. A triangle
4. A hexagon
5. A circle or something round
6. The color red
7. The color orange
8. A piece of felt
9. A safety pin
10. Applique-machine or hand
11. A piece of ribbon
12. Embroidery floss or fancy thread
13. A bead
14. A button
15. A number (any number)
16. A word (any word)
17. A fancy stitch-machine or hand
18. A piece of lace
19. A piece of rick-rack
20. A sequin
Remember it is ONE OF EACH ITEM! No combining items like a red, round button.
• Finished Size: Your wall hanging must finish as a 20” x 20” square to fit with the “Twenty-Twenty” theme. No exceptions! If your challenge is not this size it will be disqualified.
• Methods of Construction: You are free to use whatever construction or quilting methods work best for your creation (i.e., machine piece, hand piece, paper piece, machine appliqué, hand appliqué, machine or hand quilt, etc.) but it must be 3 layers and quilted. We encourage you to challenge yourself and be creative.
• Fabric Requirement: You can use whatever fabrics you want in your challenge. There is also no limit to the total number or kinds of fabrics used in your challenge but you must include the items on the above list.
• Hanging Sleeve: The quilt back must have a hanging sleeve. We may use pins to hang your quilt at the show, but we’d like the sleeve in case we decide to hang them on a rod or rope.
• Label: Make sure you put a label with your name on the back of your challenge. Please cover up your label (paper or tape) before handing it in for voting at our guild meeting so it’s a secret as to who made it.
• Due Date: Finished challenges are due at our March 11, 2020 guild meeting for judging by your quilt guild peers. All guild members attending the March 2020 meeting will have the opportunity to vote anonymously for their favorite challenge quilt. Challenges will then be hung at our show. Ribbons will be awarded to the three highest vote receivers. If you have any questions about the challenge please contact Brooke Furmanek.